No sound from Ububtu 11.10 and all derivatives

For discussing Linux compatible (or not) devices

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

No sound from Ububtu 11.10 and all derivatives

Postby kenmk » Wed Apr 11, 2012 3:03 pm

Sound is failing to work on any Live CD/Installation of Ubuntu 11.10 and all derivatives thereof.

It seems that the hardware detection is failing. I have an on-board sound card - Windows says AC97 from Realtec - and built-in speakers, but the only option on the Sound configuration that tries (and fails) to work is for headphones. There is another option which I think should work, but as soon as I try the Test Speakers option I am forced back to the headphone - no amplifier.

I have tried plugging in some amplified external speakers to the headphone socket - but still no sound.

The problem started after an in place update from Mint 11 to Mint 12. The mess this made was so severe that I had no sound from anything. Even a re-installation of XP had no sound until I added the original Compaq drivers!!!!!

Mint 11 is back and has sound with both on-board speakers and the external ones working.

The laptop is an old original Centrino machine from Compaq, a Presario B1800. Windows reports the sound card as a Realtec AC97 device.

How do I get recent Ubuntu releases to recognise this card properly?
kenmk

Update

Postby kenmk » Tue Apr 17, 2012 6:43 pm

Since the first post I've installed the beta of Ubuntu 12.04. Something has changed, 'cos this has working sound. There must be some odd difference hidden away somewhere!!??
kenmk

Postby lok1950 » Tue Apr 17, 2012 8:00 pm

Likely in the kernel.

Enjoy the Choice :)
lok1950
LXF regular

Return to Hardware